The Sacrifice of Isaac
Abraham's Ultimate Test - Genesis 22:
God didn't ask Abraham do do anything that He Himself wasn't willing to do.
Consider the striking parallels:
- The Father Sacrificed the Son.
- The Son willingly participated in the Sacrifice
- The Son Carried the Wood on which the Sacrifice was to be placed.
- Both Sacrifices occured on the same mountain -- perhaps the exact same spot.
- The Son was named by God before he was born.
- Conceived in God's time and way, not man's.
- Resurrected on the Third Day. Abraham reckoned him dead when he began that three-day
journey to Mount Moriah).
- Doesn't appear again until he joins his Gentile Bride. (Gen 22:19 says
"Abraham returned". -- No mention of Isaac).
- Eleazar, a type of the Holy Spirit, is the unnamed servant who never brings
glory to himself.
- Sarah, a type of the Nation Israel, selected by God to do His will, including
the bringing of Messiah.
- Sarah dies before Isaac takes a wife. (Jewish age comes to an end before
he age of the Gentile Church).