7/14/02 Visiting Speaker, Kirby Jefferson:
Special Note: - Let's be in special prayer for Kirby and his family. Kirby's mom and dad were in a serious car accident just this past
Friday (July 19), as you may already have heard. His dad, Bob, who
has ministered here at Hoffmantown in a number of ways, did not survive the
accident. His mom is recovering from her injuries in the hospital.
July 14, 2002
My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me. --John 10:27
Prayer includes not only our speaking to God, but our being quiet to listen to him.
Here are some thoughts about that listening component, as expressed on Kirby's fill-in handout:
- The Presence of God
- Scripture portrays God as the present one.
- God is a very present help in trouble --Psalm 46:1
- "I will be with you always --Matthew 28:20
- "I will never leave you nor forsake you --Joshua 1:5
- We should live in constant awareness of his voice.
- The Voice of God
- Hearing the voice of God is a reality throughout Scripture.
- David, Paul and Jesus are examples of depending on hearing God's voice.
- God can and does communicate with us apart from his written word.
- How God Speaks
- The written word of God
- His still small voice
- Visual images [examples in nature that reflect the Creator]
- Strong inward realization [conviction]
- Through others [spend time in the Word and ask for discernment]
- Voices we can hear
- My rational self
- The world
- Our flesh (sinful nature)
- Satan [both in temptation, and in counterfeiting the voice of God]
- How to know it is God
- The witness of the Spirit
- Consistency with Scripture
- Confirmation of the Body [other believers]
- Guidelines [on taking time to be quiet before God]
- Ask God to search your heart [confess sin, get clear before God]
- Invoke his presence [he's there, but go through the process of asking]
- Resist the enemy [close the door to distractions and stand against deceptions]
- Ask God to speak
- Wait, wait, wait in silence
- Write down your impressions.
- Questions to ask
- Lord, is there anything that you want to say to me about__________?
[You fill in the blank].