God's Covenant with Abraham
Sodom and Gomorrah - Genesis 18
- Circumcision: - Genesis 17
- All males in the household intimately marked as belonging to God
- Covenant to be kept in perpetuity - Genesis 17:10
- Given also for the sake of cleanliness. (Consider God's higiene rules that promise
"none of these diseases of Egypt" if kept - Deuteronomy 23:12)
- Name Changes: - Genesis 17:15-22
- Abram ("Great Father") to Abraham ("Father of Nations")
- Sarai ("Head Person", in charge) to Sarah ("Noblewoman, queen").
Abram had taken matters into his own hands by listening to Sarai and taking her Egyptian maid,
Hagar, to bear his son Ishmael. Finally as Abraham approached 100, and God was still promising him a
son by Sarah, Abraham said, "But I'm too old, and so is she". And God said, in effect, "Now you understand.
We'll do it my way".
- Three visitors arrive - Genesis 18:1-15
- One becomes apparent as the pre-incarnate Jesus; announces coming birth of Isaac
- The other two are angels, assigned to destroy Sodom
- Abraham intercedes for Sodom - Genesis 18:16-33
"I will not destroy the city if I find 50 - 45 - 40 - 30 - 20 - 10 there".
- Sodom and Gomorrah Destroyed - Genesis 19
- Lot hosts the two visitors - Genesis 19:1-22
- They rescue Lot, his wife and two daughters: first from the mob, then from the city's
destruction - Genesis 19:23-26
- The city is destroyed; Lot's wife looks back, and is turned into a pillar of salt
- The next morning, Abraham views the scene of destruction