Trinity, Part 7: The Trinity in Eternity
Chronology of Church Events:
- The Rapture: 1 Thessalonians 4:16-18 - "The dead in Christ shall rise
first . . . after that, we who are still alive and are left will be caught up together with them
to meet the Lord in the air." The timing of this event in history is a point of disagreement
among Bible scholars, but we are content to go along whenever it happens!
- The Great Tribulation: - Matt 24:21, Daniel 12:1. When the
Holy Spirit (embodied in the believers) leaves the Earth, that restraining force will be taken
away, and evil will have free reign.
- The Milennium, (the Thousand-year reign of Christ): After the Great Tribulation, Satan
will be bound in the Bottomless Pit for 1,000 years where he cannot deceive the Nations.
- The Great White Throne Judgment: - The Bible says that Satan will be released for a
short time after the Milennium,
and after that comes the Great White Throne Judgment, Revelation 14:7.
- The Destruction of Heaven and Earth: - Satan will be
judged, Revelation 20:10-11, and Heaven and Earth as we know it will be destoryed,
2 Peter 3:10.
- The Creation of a New Heaven and a New Earth: Satan and all his
followers will be thrown into the Lake of Fire, eliminating all evil in the new order of things.
2 Peter 3:13; Revelation 21:1.
- Study these events in the chart, below: [FYI: The letters LDS stand for Larry Dale
Then What? Will the Trinity still be needed after evil is removed and
man is once again in complete harmony with God? Consider:
So When does the Old Testament Dispensation end?
- Eternal is eternal. Timeless. We have established in previous lessons
that the Trinity existed before time, and the Bible says that God is unchanging.
- The New Jerusalem: - Who will be there?
- The Father will be there. - "And I heard a loud voice from the throne saying, 'Now
the dwelling of God is with men, and he will live with them. They will be his people, and God
himself will be with them and be their God. He will wipe every tear from their eyes.
There will be no more death or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has
passed away.'" Revelation 21:3.
- The Son will be there. (In fact, He's arranging the whole thing. "I go to prepare a
place for you." - John 14:2). "The city does not need the sun or the moon to shine on it,
for the glory of God gives it light, and the Lamb is its lamp." - Revelation 21:23.
- "The throne of God and of the Lamb will be in the city, and his servants will serve him." -
- The Holy Spirit will be there. (A little more problematic, because no clear proof
text is found for this fact, and it could be argued that the Holy Spirit was given to us as the
Counselor, Guide, Protector and Sealer that we needed here on Earth. So is He needed when
everyone is perfect and evil has been judged?) But we know that He indwells the believers,
and leaves Earth with them at the Rapture,
launching the Great Tribulation on Earth.
So in Heaven, the presence of the Holy Spirit seems mainly to be embodied in the believers, in
their new, glorified bodies.
Again, God is eternal and unchanging. - James 1:17.
Jesus said, in Luke 16:16: "The Law and the Prophets were proclaimed until John
[the Baptist]. Since that time, the good news of the kingdom of God is being preached."
Next Week: - Pentecost, the coming of the Holy Spirit to indwell the believers.
(But how does this fit, if the Holy Spirit is eternal and has been around since before Creation?)
Then, - The Unique Roles of the Three Persons.
Ponder this diagram. To our
finite minds it is an oxymoron (a logical contradiction) -- yet it is a fair rendering of
how the Triune God is portrayed in Scripture.