The Trinity, Part Twelve: The Son, God's Action Figure
Jesus, the New Testament Action Figure
Jesus, the Action Figure after his Ascension:
- Jesus, the incarnate Son, became a man with human limitations (because he agreed to
accept them, not because he was powerless).
Example: The Chihuahua sent to a planet inhabited by mean, ugly, snarling, vicious dogs, to
communicate God's love to them. The Chihuahua predictably was torn to pieces, but was resurrected
(in this figurative example) by God. Likewise, the Son agreed to come to an earth inhabited by mean, ugly, snarling, vicious
human beings, who predictably put him to death, only to be ressurected in power by God.
Larry: "I believe that the decision for God to become a man was a permanent decision.
That is, Jesus didn't stop being a man after the resurrection. He was recognized after
the resurrection by his wounds."
John 20:19-20 - On the evening of that first day of the week, when the disciples were together,
Jesus came and stood among them and said, "Peace be with you!" After he said this, he showed them his
hands and his side. The disciples were overjoyed when they saw the Lord.
John 20:24-29 - Now Thomas (called Didymus ["the twin"]) one of the Twelve, was not with
the disciples when Jesus came. So the other disciples told him, "We have seen the Lord!" But he
said to them, "Unless I see the nail marks in his hands and put my fingers where the nails were,
and put my hand into his side, I will not believe it." A week later his disciples were in the house
again, and Thomas was with them. Though the doors were locked, Jesus came and stood among them
and said, "Peace be with you!" Then he said to Thomas, "Put your finger here; see my hands.
Reach out your hand and put it into my side. Stop doubting and believe." Thomas said to him,
"My Lord and my God!" Then Jesus told him, "Because you have seen me, you have believed; blessed
are those who have not seen and yet have believed."
- Revelation 5:5-11 - Then I saw a Lamb, looking as if it had been slain, standing in the
center of the throne, encircled by the four living creatures and the elders. . . . And they
sang a new song: "You are worthy to take the scroll and to open its seals, because you were slain,
and with your blood you purchased men for God from every tribe and language and people and nation.
- When you get to heaven, you will see Jesus, still bearing his wounds.
- He brought the Gospel, Mark 16:16 - Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved, but
whoever does not believe will be condemned.
- He started the Church: trained his followers and commissioned them, Matt 28:19 -
Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of
the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you.
And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.
- He died for us, Romans 5:8, (without which, the whole plan would have failed).
- He defeated death, 1 Peter 1:3 - Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus
Christ! In his great mercy he has given us new birth into a living hope through the resurrection
of Jesus Christ from the dead.
Whenever you see God intervening in mankind, it is the Son, God's step-down transformer that
allows us frail human beings to plug into God's overpowering voltage.
- The Caller at the Rapture, 1 Timothy 4:16
- The Opener of the Scroll, Revelation 5:5-9
- The Field General at Armageddon, Revelation 19:11
- The Judge on the White Throne, Matthew 24:31, Acts 10:42, Revelation 20:11-15
- The Temple of the New Jerusalem, Revelation 21:22 - I did not see a temple in the city,
because the Lord God Almighty and the Lamb are its temple.
- The River of Life, Revelation 22:1-5.
Next week: The Holy Spirit, God's Powerpack Energizer Battery.
- Ephesians 3:12 - In him and through faith in him we may approach God with freedom and confidence.
- Hebrews 7:25 - Therefore he is able to save completely those who come to God
through him, because he always lives to intercede for them.
- Romans 8:34 - Who is he that condems? Christ Jesus, who died -- more than that, who was
raised to life -- is at the right hand of God and is also interceding for us.
- 1 John 2:1 - My dear children, I write this to you so that you will not sin.
But if anyone does sin, we have one who speaks to the Father in our defense -- Jesus Christ,
the Righteous One.