The Gospel of Luke - Part 15: Jesus' Authority
(These notes are based on lesson notes prepared
by Rob Mahon for Connection Class Leaders at Hoffmantown church.)
The Pharisees had degenerated the synagogue service into boring and petty
ramblings about legalistic rules and regulations.
Then Jesus made the scene:
A. Healing a man with an unclean spirit
(Luke 4:31-37, Mark 1:21-28).
B. Healing of Simon's mother-in-law and others
- Jesus taught on the Sabbath
in the synagogue
- So impressive was His presentation, that the audience was
("out of their senses" in amazement and wonder).
- His message was presented with
(not as teachers of the law).
- He spoke the truth
- He presented matters of life
, death   and
- There was a system
in His preaching.
- He spoke as the lover
of men, concerned about their everlasting welfare,
and pointed to the
and His love.
- His message came straight from the very
mind of the Father (John 8:26).
- A demon recognizes Jesus (Luke 4:33-35).
(When the truth is taught, there will be
- "I know who you are. . ."
- Jesus commands him to be
to come out of him
- Amazement seized all. He commands with
(Luke 4:38-44, Matthew 8:14-17, Mark 1:29-34).
C. Preaching the Good News to other towns
- High fever, and they asked Jesus to help.
- Jesus said only six words.
- The healing was complete.
- After the Sabbath (Luke 4:40-41, Mark: "whole city").
- Why did Jesus forbid the demons to speak?
His time had not yet come .
(Luke 4:42-44 - (Mark 1:35).
- Jesus was up before daybreak
because He needed to
pray to the Father .
- Why must He preach?
He was sent for this purpose .
- What is the Kingdom of God?
the reign of God in the hearts of men .
- God's recognized sovereignty
- Complete salvation
, (not by the Law).
- The Church
- A redeemed universe
and the realization of God's saving power.
Q. Why do I want Jesus?
A. Because I can't do it by myself. It's all about Him.
Today there is a movement to "Question Authority".
- Church - authority of the Word
Jesus has been given all authority (Matthew 28:18, Philippians 2:9-11,